Friday, April 16, 2021

Ava's Self Portrait Project

 


Amy Sherald and Andy Warhol inspired me to create my self portrait piece. Both artists' work are very different from each other but I wanted to incorporate ideas from both of them as a way to show myself in my own self portrait. I loved reading about Sherald's work and admiring her art. I thought her art was empowering because she always displayed women to be powerful, beautiful, and strong. I found it important to have art published demonstrating women as leaders because we live in a world where women do not receive the same equalities as men do. When drawing my portrait of myself, I tried to use solid, bright colors and draw myself simply, the same way her art is. She often showed the women in her portraits to be standing tall and confident. Most of her portraits showed women in pretty dresses, which inspired me to create my own. I used colored pencils to color in the dress, my hair, my face, and the background a contrasting, solid color. Once I drew my picture, I took a picture of it and uploaded it onto my phone, where I created a collage of the same image four times. Then I changed the colors in three of the pictures to resemble Warhol's pop art. Warhol stuck out to me from every artist we learned because I admired how much he struggled with growing up, such as his Sydenham disorder, and how he chose to use that struggle in a creative, beneficial way. I have struggled my life with many mental health issues and trauma that I would use to express myself through music and acting. Warhol's story is very moving because of how successful he became and continued to never give up. Taking something bad and making it something great is a hard but amazing thing to do. Because of this, I felt a connection to Warhol and made my portrait a repeating image with different, bright colors to resemble Andy Warhol.





No comments:

Post a Comment