Wednesday, March 3, 2021

Selfie by Mickalene Thomas

 The Seductive and Subversive Art of Mickalene Thomas - Galerie


Quotes: 

Understanding Patriarchy 

  1. When we learned that the script that had determined what should be 

The Oppositional Gaze 

  1. There is power in looking 

  2. But to the structures of power which ask us to consume them uncritically and in highly circumscribed ways. 


Mickalene Thomas made this portrait of Monoja which is an example of one of Thomas’s recent work. She has a wood paneled background in a living room. I have a couple similarities when it comes to the portrait because I’m sitting on a brown couch. Thomas explains how “Mnonja exudes dignity and self assurance”. My interpretation of this image is respect, knowing your worth, or having standards for yourself.  I can relate to that because I know myself better than anyone else does.  I’m also confident in myself and have morals and standards in life.


No comments:

Post a Comment