Sunday, February 7, 2021

Flag Self Portrait

 

                                                                                                                                                      

When creating my flag, I was inspired by mental health. The past year has been tough for everyone and at certain times we can find our mind playing tricks on us. Last year I was diagnosed with an anxiety disorder and throughout my recent experience with mental health, I was able to connect to people who struggle with mental health issues in a different way. Having to face a new diagnosis and a global pandemic at the same time was one of the most challenging points of my life. It is also the reason that I plan to volunteer with organizations to help other through their own struggles by sharing my own. Internationally, the semi colon stands to promote awareness to depression, suicide, addiction and other mental health related issues. An author will use a semi colon when he or she could have chosen to end their sentence but didn't, referring to a person who is struggling with their own struggles as well. The tree in the background that is changing each quarter stands to represent the bad times that don't last forever. It stands for moments that a person will overcome. It also represents time, that through time everything can heal. Lastly, though a person may be struggling mentally, it does not define them or their capabilities. 

When creating this project, I was able to reflect and use Dahlia's work as inspiration because majority of her work revolves around simplicity and the specific words in her painting tend to stand out such as my flag. Yes, there are other aspects in the flag but the main focus is what the words are directly telling.  I also used her paintings as inspiration because the words she decides to use have you question what it may mean or what she is tying to say. I enjoy that her words on her paintings can have a group talking and getting into deeper conversation and into maybe getting to know someones story. 
                          


1 comment: