Wednesday, May 5, 2021

Self Portrait Project- Elysha Torres









     As you can see I am not the best drawer but I tried my best. My self portrait was inspired by Jean Michel Basquait. I chose him because I loved how he expressed himself and incorporated backgrounds and embodied his cultures in their.  Also creating a piece of his art work would be difficult to do. I wanted to view and portray myself in a way that was very different to what I would expect. I felt like drawing myself in different situations and different kinds of light that would help me explore myself such as my identity. I always wanted to be the perfect person in relationships and friendships which I understood there was never a perfect person in life. People look beautiful regardless of how they look describe in the pictures above. People tend to think they do not look beautiful just because they may look different than what people expect. I chose my portrait to represent me  which I did not have a color scheme to it which I tended to use the same colors as in the inspiring pictures. Michael Basquait crown in his pictures were described as his logo in which it was shown in his favorite show called the little rascals. Which his girlfriend and her roommate which they expressed how Basquait watched the show religiously and at the end of the show it showed a crown. The crown was also used to attack western histories and despite black men as saints and kings. Which this is still very important in today's society with everything going on with black lives matter. 

Finkelstien Chapter 5 "Fashion" 

    "Fashion is a system of classification that engages the imagination and trains us to recognize the symbolic impact of material goods" (195)

"The connections of personality and identity with material objects also make us into commodities. Celebrities endorse and embody specific products and lifestyles. Behind the familiar faces and endorsed prod- ucts are invitations to self-invent. The Hollywood movie star, sports hero and pop idol are advertisements for various material goods as well as abstract personal qualities.” (Finkelstein pg 206)


Wangechi Mutu: A New Face for the Met

“I’m not back, I’m back and forth.” A dual citizen, she is married to Mario Lazzaroni, a consultant, who is from Italy." 


Wangechi Mutu: A Fantastic Journey

Mutu is best known for spectacular and provocative collages depicting female figures—part human, animal, plant, and machine—in fantastical landscapes that are simultaneously unnerving and alluring, defying easy categorization and identification.

No comments:

Post a Comment