Saturday, April 17, 2021

SELF PORTRAIT PROJECT

Anna Mendieta

Perspective vs. reality



Jean- Michael Basquiat 

    While creating this piece, Jean- Michael Basquiat and Anna Mendieta inspire me in as both artists have a different way of expressing their art. While looking at Anna Mendieta's art gives me the idea of her expressing her situation at home with her art, which inspire me to take pictures of how I’ve been feeling since we started quarantine. For me personally has been like a nightmare not be able to see people, to communicate face-to-face, to go out, and between others. On the other side, Basquiat gave me an idea of enjoying the art to have fun with it. This is the first piece of art that kind of make me feel express, the idea of how I have been feeling vs how I’ve been projecting myself to others. Making this piece was kind of fun my sister helps me to take the pictures, she was very supportive but strict at the same time. She also helps me to get the material as she is the artist in the family.  

Quotes:

"The heavily coded image with its plethora of visible clues signalled the inauthenticity of the kiss and dulled any frisson suggested by the act." (pg 187)

"The birth of fashion coincides with other changes in society and heralds an era in which individual desires are made into realizable pursuits." (pg. 192)

"The importance of fashion cannot be underestimated as an influence on the everyday world we inhabit." (pg.192)

"Being able to read the surface for insights into the interior, and be- coming adept at constructing surface appearances through the control of detail, are processes fundamental to contemporary social relations. Since the late twentieth century fashionability in clothes, cosmetics, body shape and material possessions have all become loquacious as more personal attributes are attached to them." (pg. 195)

No comments:

Post a Comment