Wednesday, March 17, 2021

Zahria Thomas Portrait Performance

 






     


  Even though I am biracial, I am very in touch with my African American roots. I wanted to take this trip to learn more about my identity and find who I am. I wanted to see the side of my history that is not taught in History books. The following images are from the Museum of African American History in Washington DC. The first image, The Klu Klux Klan hood shook me to the core when I saw it. Although I never encountered a Klan member face to face the fear of those who did overcame my body. I also felt a sense of anger when I saw it because that hood represents so much hate. It also upset me when I remembered the fact that hate groups similar to the Klan are still active today. The next photo is from the Mexico City 1968 Olympics. The statue depicts Tommy Smith and John Carlos raising a black gloved fist during the national anthem after winning 1st and 3rd in the Men’s 200m event. I particularly loved what this statue represented because I also run track. Seeing my people qualify and place at a national stage like the olympics made me feel like I could accomplish anything I put my mind to. Seeing the statue made me set higher goals for myself in regards to track and it gave me motivation to excel no matter what obstacles came my way. It gave me a sense of pride and achievement. 

The 3rd picture, the Loving v. Virginia picture was one of my favorites. In this case, a husband and wife was fighting for interracial marriage. Without them I would not be here. Being interracial is my identity, my race and who I am. These fearless individuals are the reason why my mom and dad were able to be together and I am forever grateful for that. The 4th picture, the Our Lives matter plaque, represents where we are today. It shows that we came a long way but also acknowledges that there is much left to do. It reminds us that after all these years we are still not truly seen as equal in our country. It shows that we still have to come together as Black Americans and fight for our voices to be heard.


John Berger, Chapters 4+5


And the visual desirability of what can be bought lies in its tangibility, in how it will reward the touch, the hand, of the owner. page 90


We are accused of being obsessed by property. The truth is the other way round. It is the society and culture in question which is so obsessed. page 109


No comments:

Post a Comment