Wednesday, February 10, 2021

Flag self portrait

 

Digital concept of my flag “out in the world”
Very poor quality pic of the flag I made

When I was thinking of flags that I felt a sense of connection to, the Tibetan prayer flags that hung in my Italian grandparents garden for as long as I can remember, came to mind. Over time they fade and the edges fringe as a reminder that all things fade. It’s a positive outlook on our own aging and mortality which I love to embrace. I used the Latin word ‘VIXI’ because in Italian superstition 17 is an unlucky number since the Roman numeral for it (XVII) scrambled is VIXI, meaning ‘I have lived’. As an unlucky reference to our own mortality, I wanted to reclaim as something to be appreciated, like the fading of Tibetan prayer flags.  It’s not just about what’s on the flag but the flag itself as a material, Just as it’s not what our own lives contain but that we are living. I was really inspired by Dahlia Elsayed’s use of words and simplistic design. I wanted to utilize that same stripped imagery and language in my own project by sticking to only three words; living, vixi, and lived. To emphasize my point that we are alive now and we have lived fully, even if we are gone tomorrow. 


No comments:

Post a Comment