Friday, January 29, 2021

selfie with Cindy Sherman


1- Cindy

2- Me

“Finally, the most grandiose result of the photographic enterprise is to give us the sense that we can hold the whole world in our heads.”

“To photograph is to appropriate the thing photographed.”

Viewers may not be able to see the world outside of the kitchen’s walls, but her characters are trying to navigate it all the same.

“I knew that I was making images unlike anything I had seen before, but I didn’t know what that would mean,” she told W.

Originally painters painted self-portraits, and then she kind of blew it open with photographic portraiture.

I still like the idea of challenging myself through the more hands-on methods, only because I think it’s more challenging when you are limited.

            Photography is our new way to document our precious moments and everything we find it value and want it to be remembered. Taking picture is not only for places or other people but it can be used for selfies. Selfies are all about us, how we express our feelings, mood swing. Our reactions and facial expression just change every moment and in different situations, by selfies like Carrie Mae Weems.

I picked up one of Cindy Sherman because she was having a deep look or maybe she was thinking about something important. I can be just like sometimes looking into my life what it would bring to me and what I am supposed to do with my future.

work cited:

“Cindy Sherman: MoMA.” The Museum of Modern Art, www.moma.org/calendar/exhibitions/1154.

Editorial, Artsy, and Jacqui Palumbo. “Why Carrie Mae Weems's ‘Kitchen Table Series’ Is a Landmark of Contemporary Art.” Artsy, 19 Aug. 2020, www.artsy.net/article/artsy-editorial-revisiting-carrie-mae-weemss-landmark-kitchen-table-series.

Hoban, Phoebe. “The Cindy Sherman Effect.” ARTnews.com, ARTnews.com, 18 Nov. 2019, www.artnews.com/art-news/news/the-cindy-sherman-effect-505/.

Susan Sontag, www.susansontag.com/SusanSontag/books/onPhotographyExerpt.shtml.


 

No comments:

Post a Comment