Thursday, January 28, 2021

Selfie with Carrie Mae Weems

 




    I was inspired to recreate this picture because to me it shows deep emotion. When I looked at this picture it made me think about the hard day she might have had, the stressors that caused her to sit in her seat in that manner, how many glasses of wine she may have had to make herself feel better and if she was crying or not. After seeing this piece it made me think about all the days I was curled up and stressed about everything and what I did to make myself feel better.


Susan Sontag “On Photography”


“To collect photographs it to collect the world”


“The most grandiose result of the photographic enterprise is to give us the sense that we can hold the world in our heads”


Carrie Mae Weems “Kitchen Table Series”


“But it was also a seminal moment for Black representation in art, influencing an entire generation of artists who rarely saw their own selves reflected back on museum walls”


“Everyone can relate to this work, It’s not just black women, it’s White women, Asian women.”


The Cindy Sherman Effect


“ I think I was part of a movement, a generation and maybe the most popular one of that movement at the time..”


“Now we all take it for granted that a photograph can be Photoshopped. We live in the era of YouTube fame and reality-TV shows and makeovers, where you can be anything you want to be any minute of the day, and artists are responding to that. Cindy was one of the first to explore the idea of the malleability or fluidity of identity.”

No comments:

Post a Comment