Monday, May 10, 2021

SELF-PORTRAIT FINAL PROJECT




    The subjects for my final project are self- identity, self-love and trauma. During my years of taking art due school, I have never been the best a painting nor drawing and for me the best way for me was to create a collage mixed with painting (I tried my best). While creating this piece I was stuck due all the ideas I wanted to be represented as final project. When I finally had a clear idea of what I wanted was easy to put it into fragments in the canvas. My major inspiration was Mickalene Thomas, her art is based of black female identity, celebrity, and sexuality. Which gave me an idea, her usually style is black female identity, but I instead painted a woman in red as for me it means passion/love in my life, that woman in the sofa is me. The sofa, I decided to paint black, as the trauma, depression & isolation I went through. The pillows are green as for me it meant hope. And this is the story of my life, I grew up in a loving household raised by my grandparents which taught me how to love two strangers that I called “mom” and “dad”. Always judged my grandparents decisions and though them raising me it was going to be the best idea. Due their immaturity and hate to each other, they ended up creating an emotionally unstable person. The two pillows as they mean hope and I drew them as my grandparents because of them they help me to move on and became the person I am today. The background has a lot of meaning, the right side has a meaning as the younger version of me tried to run away to set herself free from all the pain she felt during her childhood. The left side is more of a physical appearance, everyone has their beauty in their own way. Beauty doesn’t mean a certain shape, color, type of eyes or a certain race. “Beauty Is In The Eye Of The Beholder” and I always keep that in mind. During my first self-portraits and this self-portrait there’s more confident on my work and what I am doing so far. Learning to all the artist during this semester has taught me that everyone has a different way of expressing art and whoever isn’t happy oh well. I have learned that even media kind of controls the way we want to see ourselves because that’s how “it is support to be” for example, stretch marks, body hair, gaining weight and others, are topics that a lot of people need to fix themselves because in the eyes of others it is not acceptable. Happiness should be your priority before unwanted comments from strangers.  


Quotes


Ways of seeing by John Berger
“To be born a woman has been to be born, within an allotted and confined space, into the keeping of men. The presence of women has developed as a result of their ingenuity in living under such tutelage within such a limited space. But this has been at the cost of a woman's self being split into two. A woman must continually watch herself.” (chapter 3, pg. 46)

When Artists Create Flags 

“She explores the potential made possible through our own mutual cooperation. Possibly holding a piece of the sky, these birds remind us that we must work together.”

Susan Sontag- On Photography

“To collect photographs is to collect the world.” 

No comments:

Post a Comment