Monday, March 15, 2021

Selfie with Mickalene Thomas


Mickalene Thomas was one of my favorite artists to learn about. I love how Thomas was determined to break boundaries in art for women representation and did not care to show the raw side of an individual, rather than feeling like they have to viewed as a certain "pretty" stereotype. A quote I found from the Hyperallergic article, The Photographed, Collaged, and Painted Muses of Mickalene Thomas was, "By portraying real women with their own unique history, beauty and background, I’m working to diversify the representations of black women in art.” I chose this picture because I thought it was interesting to see how Thomas overlapped parts of a woman's face. It looked like the women in the picture was wearing a mask or hiding.



 

No comments:

Post a Comment